Five stages of grief

 

THE FIVE STAGES OF GRIEF

 

The night I lost you

                           Someone pointed me to

                                                              the five stages of grief.

 

“Go this way,” he said,

                               “it’s easy,

                                           like learning to climb

                                                                          stairs after an amputation.”

 

And here are the steps.  Follow me.

 

DENIAL was the first step.

      I got out of bed and went to the kitchen.  I set the table for two.  I passed the toast to               you—you just sat there.  I passed the paper to you—you hid behind it.  This caused anger to rise up.

 

ANGER was the second step to be climbed.

      Anger seemed more familiar.  I burned the toast, snatched the paper and read the headlines myself;           it mentioned your departure so I moved up to the next step.

 

BARGAINING was the next step.

      What could I exchange for you? 

            The silence which comes after the storm?

                My typing fingers?

                     Before I could decide depression came puffing up.

 

DEPRESSION was number four and easy to reach and harder to leave.

      Depression was like a long lost relative who came to visit.  His suitcase was weather    beaten and held together by string.  In the suitcase were bandages for the eyes and bottles and bottles of sleep.

      Depression caused me to slide all the way down the steps.

          I’ve climbed the steps over and over again only to slide down again with depression.

              As I was climbing and falling here was a Light flashing on and off.

      The Light was neon and had a name.  The name was Hope.

          Hope was a signpost pointing straight up into the air.

              Hope lit up the WAY.

                The WAY is the Light of Hope

                   The WAY showed me how to climb to the step of Acceptance.

ACCEPTANCE is the final and last step.

      I reach this step and fall but not as much.

      You see, the way helps me climb the stairs, gives me Light and helps me when I see grief as a circular staircase and cry because I have lost you.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOVEMBER 2021 NEWSLETTER

INTRODUCTION - MY VERY FIRST BLOG

October 2021 NEWSLETTER