Why we need to go to Church


February 11, 2020, I was on Facebook right after I finished my devotional reading and this came through from a Wonderful Sister in Christ, KATHLEEN BERG SPENCER:
Food for thought: I have been thinking about writing this for a very long time. Please don’t shoot the messenger. I love you all!
There are many today who think that it’s not necessary to attend church to be a follower of Christ. While it is true that going to church doesn’t make you a Christian, I would like to share a few reasons why we need to go to church.
1. To say attending church is not necessary, we need to ask if Pastors were just delusional when they heard the “call of God.” to become under-shepherds of the Great Shepherd to care for a group of people who meet weekly in a place called “church”?
Ephesians 4:11-14 So Christ himself gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, the pastors and teachers, 12 to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and the craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.”
2. Are the scriptures untrue that talk about ALL the gifts God gives to every one of His people for the purpose of serving the Body of Christ?
I Corinthians 12: 7-11 “ Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit a message of wisdom, to another, a message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he distributes them to each one, just as he determines.”
3. When the letters in the Bible were written to the “Church of…” were the people who gathered together wrong, and do you think that was for then and not for now?
4. Is Hebrews 10:24,25 a lie? “And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.”?
It’s true, Churches (gathering of God’s people) for the purpose of worship and encouraging one another, are not perfect. Imagine that??? We’re all humans! Though we can become more like Christ in the way we interact with our families, what better place is there to have to allow God to grow His character in us when we are doing Church life with other believers? How often have I had to remember that the love verses in I Corinthians 13 are not suggestions. They are exactly how we are to treat each other, even if we’d instead tell someone off or slug them.
“Love is patient. Love is kind. It does not envy. It does not boast; it is not proud. It does not dishonor others. It is not self-seeking; it is not easily angered; it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.”
Galatians 5 tells us what the fruit of the Spirit is also to be lived out in the Body of Christ. “ But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things, there is no law.”
People are hurting and bleeding (even Christ-followers sometimes), and we are to be there for each other.
I know there are times when the burdens I carry are huge for me. There are times that I feel deeply hurt and rejected. Loneliness can be overwhelming. And I’m guessing you feel this sometimes as well. And then Sunday morning arrives, and when I walk into the church building, there are my brothers and sisters who welcome me with a big smile and some with hugs. The singing starts, and as I offer praise to my God and King, my heart is overwhelmed with joy and gladness as the cares of life melt away. The corporate worship ushers in the presence of the Holy Spirit is a powerful way confirming what He said, “Where two or more are gathered in My Name, there I am in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20. As the Word is opened, the Holy Spirit begins to speak deep into my heart, either confirming what I know or teaching me new truths, delivered by the person in the pulpit who He told to be there and deliver His Word.
I discovered years ago that because of feeling rejected when I was young, I had embraced a lie that everyone would reject me. So when I walked into a public place with other believers, those awful feelings would arise in me, so of course, I didn’t want to be there. Once I recognized it as a lie of Satan, I was able to ask God to show me the truth, and He wonderfully healed me. Once in a-while, the enemy will still whisper that lie in my ear, and I am able through God’s mighty power to dismiss it. You can too!
I believe some don’t go because they don’t want to be affiliated with a particular denomination. My question is this. Is that the real reason, or is it because you don’t want to have to be accountable and/or come under authority? Accountability and coming under the authority of a local church is very clearly stated in scripture. That is usually an indication of pride which God hates.
As I look at the various denominations, I see that just maybe God himself instituted them, and this is why. Though many denominations agree on salvation through faith, every denomination has the main focus of an attribute of God, which we would miss if we were all one. I grew up in and am still a member of a Holiness denomination that has its focus on the holiness of God and holy living through a cleansed and consecrated life. The Calvinists focus on God’s Grace. Had it not been for their teaching on that, I would never have been set free from some legalism that I needed to be rid of. The Pentecostals focus on God’s gifts and His supernatural intervention in our lives and the world. I am so grateful for the time I spent worshiping with them. It revolutionized my faith. The denominations that are more liturgical focus on the sacraments of the church and reflection on what Christ has done for us. When we get to Heaven, the lines will be gone, but we’re not there yet, and biblical doctrine is essential to how we interpret scripture and live our lives for God. It should never divide us as brothers and sisters in Christ but strengthen our understanding of scripture so that we are not easily led astray by false doctrine.
. I know that our “Church” can do a whole lot better at being Jesus to each other. I include myself in that. But we are trying and asking God to help us to be better at this. These people, as well as the millions around the world who know Christ, are the “family” I will spend eternity with. Don’t short circuit what the Holy Spirit wants to do in and through you by not being involved in a local church. If you come to our church and feel ignored, remember everyone is fighting a battle of some kind. Go and ask someone else how they are doing. It will probably make their day, and in turn, you will be blessed.
House churches are good too. And many of those have sprung up in our country. I say Praise God as long as the Word is being preached, scriptures are being lived out, and people are using their gifts to build each other up.
There are untold numbers of Christ-followers in countries that persecute Christians. These Christ-followers still “do church,” but they have to do it in secret as they gather with other believers, and if they are caught, it means imprisonment or certain death. What a horrible insult it is to them to have the freedom we have to meet together without fear and be indifferent to it.
I believe that God has given us this incredible gift to worship together and care for each other, and I also believe that one day we will provide an account of why we turned it down and didn’t fulfill this means of Grace He so lovingly has offered to us.
For those who live far from a church and have difficulty with transportation, I would encourage you to find other believers in your area and meet together to read the scriptures, pray, sing, and serve each other.
As Bill says every Sunday at the end of the service:
“GO AND BE THE CHURCH!”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NOVEMBER 2021 NEWSLETTER

INTRODUCTION - MY VERY FIRST BLOG

October 2021 NEWSLETTER